Report to: Executive Chef
Posting ID #: 0221
WHO WE ARE:
49th Parallel Coffee Roasters is a Vancouver based Coffee Roastery founded in 2004. The company started small but with years of dedication to growing a customer base, 49th Parallel stands high in the ranks as one of Canada’s best specialty coffee companies. What sets us apart from other roasters is our commitment to direct trade, going direct to the farms to strengthen relationships and providing transparency in how we acquire and bring specialty coffee to our loyal customers.
Our Vision: BUILD NORTH AMERICA’S LEADING SPECIALTY COFFEE MOVEMENT
Our Mission: Make Specialty Coffee Accessible to More People (in More Ways) By Crafting EXCEPTIONAL DIRECT TRADE COFFEE, WITH INTENTION, That INSPIRES CURIOSITY
In this position, you will act as a Team Lead for the Kitchen staff, and your main duties are to produce high quality exceptional doughnuts and baked goods in a high-capacity kitchen environment to ensure all of our products are available for as much of the day as possible.
This position is responsible for the following duties:
- All baking and glazing tasks, including but not limited to: yeast dough, scones, doughnut fillings, and glazes.
- Oversees pastry kitchen operations and leads the team in day-to-day tasks.
- Assists with training pastry staff on new products and recipes.
- Assist with creating the weekly schedule in accordance with labour cost and percentage.
- Curates deep cleaning and prep schedules and follows through on completion
- Completes weekly orders for ingredients and supplies needed for operations
- Participates in monthly inventory on the last Sunday of each month. If unable due to sickness or vacation, ensures proper coverage.
- Communicate with Executive Chef when unable to complete or unsure of any tasks; Develop and propose solutions for how to best proceed.
- Assist with training new employees.
- Ensure that team is sanitizing food preparation areas as determined by HACCP and company policy
- Familiar with kitchen safety procedure, and the location of all HACCP record forms
*Other duties and special projects may be assigned from time to time.
- High school diploma, Culinary or Pastry Diploma would be an asset
- Entry level for Outlook and Excel
- Food Safe Certification
- 2 Year of similar work experience
- 2 years of supervisor experience
- Ability to lead and motivate the team
- Ability to give constructive and meaningful feedback; willingness to receive and act upon feedback received from others
- Demonstrate and embed the company values throughout the department and the company as a whole; Promote and celebrate our culture.
- Effective communicator
- Willingness to coach employees and assist them in reaching their highest potential
Soft Skills / Other:
- VERY passionate about coffee and food
- Knowledge of specialty coffee, coffee trends and café operations
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and manage time effectively to achieve results
- Ability to build strong internal working relationships and be an effective communicator
- Have a “no job is too small” mentality: you roll up your sleeves, boldly jump in and get it done!
- Have ability to see a project through from beginning to end while demonstrating the ability to both multi-task effectively and prioritize tasks
- Be results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
- Positive outlook and attitude
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to Karly Pomes, Executive Chef, at Karly@49thparallelroasters.com, and include the job title in the subject line.