Reports to: Master Roaster
Location: Burnaby, BC
Closing Date: 5pm June 11, 2021
Posting ID #: 0721
The Roaster Assistant is a member of the roasting team responsible for helping the Roasters and Master Roaster with roasting coffee to the highest specialty standards. The position includes learning 49th Parallel Roasters’ quality requirements and helping to maintain them.
In addition, the Roaster Assistant is responsible for ensuring there is enough green beans weighed out and ready for roasting as per schedule.
- Learn how to operate (basics) multi-function roast machine(s) via Cropster Intelligence
- Learn how to follow basic product recipes and do minor changes as per Master Roaster’s direction and advice when required
- Take care of daily production samples as required by QC protocol
- Use color meter (Agtron) record results
- Manage daily green bean replenishment for staging purposes (create tags, measure accurate weight)
- Help with daily, weekly, and monthly inventory management of raw material (green coffee beans)
- Daily cleaning and maintenance of all processing /roasting machines and work area
- Consistently record and maintain quality of green bean to final cup following specific guidelines
- Learn how to operate forklift and become certified
- Lift and move 30kg bins throughout the day
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Minimum 6 months experience in specialty coffee would be a strong asset
- Basic to intermediate Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills
- Forklift certification or willingness to become certified
- Ability to lift and carry 30kg bins multiple times throughout the day
- VERY passionate about coffee
- Keen to learn more about specialty coffee, coffee trends and café operations
- Ability/openness to develop or have existing coffee tasting and evaluating skills
- Ability/openness to develop basic knowledge of roasting and physical properties of roasted coffee
- Attention to detail and ability to present digestible information effectively
- Ability to work under pressure and manage time effectively to achieve results
- Ability to build strong internal working relationships and be an effective communicator
- Have a “no job is too small” mentality: you roll up your sleeves, boldly jump in and get it done!
- Ability to see a project through from beginning to end while demonstrating the ability to both multi-task effectively and prioritize tasks
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
- Have a positive outlook, and be able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to Autumn Dhaliwal, Head of People and Culture, at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the job title in the subject line.