Nicaragua Finca Los Altiplanos
This a fully washed process lot of Java variety, produced by Ricardo Fajardo. In the cup, expect a supremely balanced structure with accentuated dried fruit sweetness and a chewy, dense mouthfeel.
The farm has excellent environmental management. It has 30 hectares of jungles and a rich diversity of flora and fauna.
Finca Los Altiplanos is owned and managed by Ricardo Fajardo in Jinotega, Nicaragua. Located in the Datanli El Diablo reserve, here Ricardo cultivates a wide range of varieties such as Pacamara, Java, and Parainema – just to name a few. With over a century of coffee growing in his family, Ricardo had the opportunity to branch out on his own in 2006, when he first came across the land that is now “Finca Los Altiplanos”. Here he found a landscape with unparallel ecology and climate, which he knew would be perfect for quality coffee production. Since then, Ricardo has had great success, placing in the final round of the 2021 Cup of Excellence competition in Nicaragua. On the farm, banana trees are planted for shade as well as providing food. Ricardo also grows 3 varieties of guava that provide shade for coffee trees and a habitat for wildlife. These plants also help regulate the nitrogen in the soil, a crucial step for coffee tree health.
1 gram of freshly ground coffee to 16-17g water / Slurry temperature (coffee+water): 200 - 205 ̊F – 93 - 96 ̊C / Extraction: 20 - 21% / TDS 1.38-1.41%
- Producer: Ricardo Cuadra Fajardo
- Country: Nicaragua
- Region: Datanli El Diablo, Jinotega
- Elevation: 1100-1280 m.a.s.l
- Variety: Java
- Roast Level: Light Filter Roast
- Process Method: Washed
- Only the ripe cherry is picked by hand. Before pulping, the coffee is floated to clean any light grains. After pulping the coffee, it is fermented for 17 hours and washed in a channel with clean water. The water used in pulping and washing passes through biological filters and goes to an oxidation lagoon.