Kenya Kiri AB

Kenya Kiri AB

RHUBARB // VANILLA // BLACKCURRANT

    The Kiri Coffee Factory was established in 1997 and is located in Central Province, Kirinyaga County in the Njukiini location of Gichugu Division.  It’s made up of 1200 farmers.  

    The area experiences moderate bimodal rainfall of about 1200 mm per year.  The long rains fall between March and May, while the short rains fall between October and December. This leads there to being biannual coffee production with the early harvest coming in April to June and the late second harvest coming in October to December.

    The main varieties of coffee grown are SL28, and SL34 which together make up 99% of production and Ruiru 1 which makes up the remaining 1% of production.

    After pulping, the coffee is fermented overnight to break down the sugars, before travelling through channels to the soaking tank where the coffee is carefully cleaned and soaked.  Raised drying tables are used to dry the coffee. Drying time depends on climate, ambient temperature and total production volume and can take from 7 to 15 days. Continuous sorting and hand turning of the parchment takes place throughout the drying process.

    Kenya Kiri has flavours of red currants, red apples and grapes.  It is bold and well structured with a velvety body and sweet finish.

For all filter coffees we recommend the following parameters:

  • Brewing ratio: 1g coffee to 17g water
  • Slurry temperature (coffee + water): 200 - 205 ̊F / 93 - 96 ̊C
  • Extraction: 22 - 23%

Product Details

  • Producer: Ngariama Coop
  • Country: Kenya
  • Region: Kirinyaga
  • Elevation: 1450 m.a.s.l.
  • Variety: Sl28, Sl34, Ruiru 11
  • Harvest Year: October/December 2017