Chocolate Espresso Biscotti
• 2 cups of flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp coffee grounds
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
• 1 cup dark chocolate chips
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• Egg wash (1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tbsp milk)
PRE-HEAT & MIX
1.Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, coffee grounds, cinnamon,and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is fine and crumbly.
3. Stir in chocolate chips and eggs until the dough is just barely moistened. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until the dough is soft and slightly sticky, about 8-10 times.
DIVIDE THE DOUGH
4. Using floured hands, divide the dough into quarters. Shape each quarter into a 9" long roll. Place two rolls 4" apart on each of the prepared cookie sheets, gently flattening each one into a 2" wide slab. Brush the top and sides of each log with egg wash.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the top of the slabs feels firm and dry. Remove from the oven, but do not turn off the heat. Set the slabs on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Once the slabs are cool enough to handle, cut crosswise into into 1/2" thick slices. Place slices upright, 1/4" apart, on cookie sheets.
7. Place the slices on the baking sheet, cut sides down, and return to the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over, and continue baking for another 10 minutes (the cookies should be just a bit soft in the center –don’t worry, they’ll harden up once they cool).
8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then store in airtight containers.