Skip to content

Sustainable Bags

49th Parallel is proud to announce that we have made the switch to more sustainable packaging for all of our 12oz coffee bags.

With the help of our partners at PBI we transitioned our all 49th coffee bags into their Biotre™ material to reduce our environmental impact.  Biotre™ coffee bags are made from 60% (by weight) renewable plant-based resources and the remaining 40% breaks down into healthy compost using processes from OECD and conditions taken from ASTM standards. The material is earth friendly and heat sealable keeping the roasted coffee beans as fresh as possible. There are two versions of Biotre™, 1.0 and 2.0 and you can expect both these material options circulating in our 12oz bags. To learn more about Biotre™, visit here 

We are glad to know we will contribute less waste to landfills and will continue to update our packaging as new sustainable options become available.

We hope you will love them, too!

 

What is Biotre® 1.0: 

  • Outer layer consists of cellulose from wood pulp  make up 60% of the material by weight and have been shown to break down into healthy compost in 12 weeks when tested according to a test method called ASTM D6400.    

  • Interior layer  is made with an additive that makes it “oxo-degrade”. This additive has been shown to allow plastic to break into microscopic pieces under specific conditions over 5-10 years vs. the estimated 1,000 years needed for normal plastic.

  • Natural Kraft paper on the outside also makes up 60% of the material by weight and break down into healthy compost in 12 weeks.  

 

What is Biotre® 2.0: 

  • Outer layer consists of cellulose from wood pulp.

  • Inner layer consists of 100% plant-based, renewable resources (i.e. cane sugar).   

  • Natural Kraft paper on the outside also make up 60% of the material by weight and break down into healthy compost in 12 weeks.

 

Waste Reduction:

Biotre® can reduce the amount of packaging that ends up in waste disposal because 60% can break down naturally in a relatively short period of time.

 

Climate Change:

The plant-based components that go into Biotre® (wood pulp & for Biotre® 2.0 sugar cane) absorb the greenhouse gas CO2 through natural plant respiration prior to being used to make our Biotre® packaging.

 

Natural Resources:

Biotre® preserves our natural resources by reducing the use of finite fossil fuel and mineral resources. While most barrier packaging is made from almost exclusively petroleum-based plastics or aluminum foil, Biotre® film layers consist of 60% to nearly 100% renewable plants.

 

How To Dispose:

Remove the one-way degassing valve and tin-tie manually. Compost the remaining coffee bag in your privately managed compost pile or dispose it in regular trash. When a portion or all of Biotre®  is properly disposed, Biotre® material will naturally compose and its impact on the environment is significantly less than typical plastic materials.

x